Mina Tragic Incident Meant to Distract Attention from Saudi Crimes in Yemen ~ 20,000 Dead Yemenis
TEHRAN (FNA)– A prominent Pakistani politician and religious scholar said the Riyadh government has caused the Mina stampede to derail world attention from the human tragedy in Yemen.
“… The main goal of the recent incident in Hajj ritual is to distract attention of the world from the war in Yemen,” Allama Javed Akbar Saqi, leader of Pakistan’s Islamic Movement Party and Sunni scholar, told FNA on Saturday.
He reiterated that if the Saudi regime had paid attention to the Hajj problems instead of dispatching its troops to other Muslim countries, including Yemen, the Tragic incident of Mina would not have happened.
A stampede during one of the last rituals of the Hajj season killed more than 2,000 people and left 2,000 wounded.
The stampede occurred during the ritual known as “stoning the devil” in the tent city of Mina, about two miles from Mecca.
Some 136 Iranians have also lost their lives in the incident, while 150 others have been wounded in the incident.
Meantime, sources revealed that the convoy of Saudi Arabia’s Deputy Crown Prince and Defense Minister Mohammad bin Salman Al Saud caused panic among millions of pilgrims and started the stampede.
“The large convoy of Mohammad bin Salman Al Saud, the King’s son and deputy crown prince, that was escorted by over 350 security forces, including 200 army men and 150 policemen, sped up the road to go through the pilgrims that were moving towards the site of the ‘Stoning the Devil’ ritual, causing panic among millions of pilgrims who were on the move from the opposite direction and caused the stampede,” several Arab papers, including the Arabic language al-Dyar newspaper, disclosed on Thursday evening.
“That’s why the ruler of Mecca has distanced himself from the case, stressing that the issue should be studied and decided by the King,” it added.
No other source has yet confirmed the report, but observers said the revelation explains why two of the roads to the ‘Stoning the Devil’ site has been closed.
Eye witnesses said earlier that the Saudi police and security forces had closed two of the few roads to the stone column that were to be used by millions of pilgrims to do the ‘Stoning the Devil’ ritual on Thursday.
Saeed Ohadi, the head of Iran’s Hajj organization, accused Saudi Arabia of safety errors and mismanagement.
He said for “unknown reasons” the paths had been closed off near the scene of the symbolic stoning of the devil ritual where the accident later took place.
“This caused this tragic incident,” he told the Iranian state television.
Eyewitness accounts said that even after incident the Saudi security and military forces closed all paths leading to the scene and the bodies of pilgrims have piled up on each other.